Recently two pups from different families – Ella (4-month-old Labradoodle) and Orion (1-year-old Akita) – thought it would be a good idea to get into some tasty rat bait.
Although it may be yummy, rat bait can contain a neurotoxin called bromethalin, which can be very dangerous for any animal that ingests it.
All types of rodenticides are potentially toxic to any mammal, not just the species targeted by the rodenticide use.
Luckily both of these fur kids were treated right away; prompt and appropriate treatment is critical. Ella and Orion spent a few days with us in the hospital – having some fun as you can see! – and fortunately were able to go home happy and healthy.
- More info on bromethalin, including signs of ingestion (Pet Poison Helpline)
- Four common types of rat poison (Pet Poison Helpline)
- What to do if your pet has ingested a rodenticide (AVMA)